Tool Kits and Agritourism/Nature Tourism Planning Guides
- Agritourism: An Economic Opportunity for Illinois, Illinois Institute for Rural Affairs, 2003 - This guide outlines a five-step planning process and keys to success.
- Agritourism and Nature Tourism in California, University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources, 2005 revision - This for-purchase workbook was written to help farmers and ranchers determine their tourism potential; it outlines the steps of establishing a tourism enterprise.
- Agritourism in Focus: A Guide for Tennessee Farmers, University of Tennessee, 2005.
- Agricultural Tourism Operation Fact Sheets, Small Farm Center, University of California, Davis - This site provides information on customer relations, business planning, potential value added businesses and marketing.
- Agri-Tourism Workbook, Agri-Business Council of Oregon, 2003 - This is a guide to discovering new ways to build a successful agriculture business through direct farm marketing.
- Alaska Community Tourism Handbook: How to Develop Tourism in Your Community, Alaska Office of Economic Development.
- Alternative Enterprises and Agritourism: Farming for Profit and Sustainability Resource Manual, Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS), USDA, 2004 - This online manual contains 2,300 pages of reference material. It is divided into 20 chapters. Subjects covered include rural tourism, agritourism, nature tourism, heritage tourism, business planning, liability insurance, marketing, funding programs and resources. The manual is also available in CD or in a paper copy.
- Building Better Rural Places: Federal Programs for Sustainable Agriculture, Forestry, Conservation and Community Development - This guide is written for anyone seeking help from federal programs to foster innovative enterprises in agriculture and forestry in the United States. Specifically, the guide addresses program resources in community development; sustainable land management; and value-added and diversified agriculture and forestry.
- Building a Sustainable Business: A Guide to Developing a Business Plan for Farms and Rural Businesses, 2003 - This guide brings the business planning process alive to help today's alternative and sustainable agriculture entrepreneurs transform farm-grown inspiration into profitable enterprises.
- A Community Guide to Nature Tourism, Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife - This site provides a five-step process to assessing your community, resources and guides.
- Considerations for Agritourism Development, New York State Sea Grant - This site provides a checklist of areas to consider when beginning an agritourism related venture.
- Considerations for Agritainment Enterprise in Georgia, University of Georgia Extension, 2002 - This online guide includes information on entertainment farming activities, marketing plans and management issues.
- Developing Naturally: An Exploratory Process for Nature-Based Community Tourism, Strom Thurmond Center, Clemson University.
- Direct Farm Marketing and Tourism Handbook, University of Arizona Extension - This guide is designed to help producers market their products and services directly to consumers.
- Entertainment Farming and Agri-Tourism, Appropriate Technology Transfer for Rural Areas (ATTRA), NCAT, 2004 - This site provides ideas and information on such topics as educational tours, festivals, educational activities, petting zoos, mazes, merchandise to offer, liability and handicap accessibility.
- Entertainment Farming and Agri-Tourism: Business Management Guide, 2004 - Agri-entertainment and –tourism are new, highly consumer-focused types of agriculture. This site may offer additional options for diversification and adding stability to farm incomes. Farmers have invented a wide variety of “entertainment farming” options.
- Establishing a Birding-Related Business: A Resource Guide. Texas Agricultural Extension Service, Texas A&M University.
- For Higher Profits, Healthier Land - Alternative Enterprises, NRCS, USDA - This document provides an overview of agritourism and examples of farm-based tourism enterprises.
- Indiana Resource Guide for Agritourism - A guide for farmers.
- Integrated Rural Tourism: Weaving Low Impact Tourism into the Economic Fabric of Rural Communities, Institute for Integrated Rural Tourism, 2006 - This site provides a manual for practitioners working to implement socioeconomic improvement strategies in rural communities.
- Making Nature Your Business: A Guide for Starting A Nature Tourism Business in the Lone Star State, Texas Parks and Wildlife.
- Nature-Based Tourism and Agritourism Trends: Unlimited Opportunities, Kerr Center for Sustainable Agriculture, NRCS, USDA, 2002.
- Nature-Based Tourism Enterprises, Strom Thurmond Institute, Clemson University, and the South Carolina Sea Grant Consortium - This guide was developed to assist individuals in developing nature-based businesses. Topics include: planning and development, defining your service, start-up costs, administration, operations, creation of an Internet presence and marketing.
- Nature/Agritourism Revenue Projection tool, Texas Agrilife Extension Service, Texas A&M University in partnership with Watchable Wildlife.
- Nature Tourism Toolkit, Miles Phillips, publication #SP-267, Texas Agrilife Extension Service, 2007 - This toolkit is a CD that includes twelve publications related to critical issues facing nature/agritourism operations, liability, markets, planning, etc. It includes a Microsoft Excel version of a nature tourism financial planning tool.
- Oklahoma Agritourism - A resources manual.
- Opportunities for Rural Tourism, National Agricultural Library, Washington, D.C.
- A Primer on Agritourism and Ecotourism Startups and Management, Small Farm Center, University of California, Davis -This for-purchase publication contains material to use to assess whether to seriously consider entry into or expansion of an agri or nature tourism operation.
- Providing Positive Wildlife Viewing Experiences, Watchable Wildlife, Inc. and the Colorado Division of Wildlife - A resource book for professionals providing wildlife viewing experiences.
- Starting your Agritourism Venture, North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
- Suggestions for Helping you Start an Agritourism Venture, North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer services.
- Martha Glass, Manager
Agritourism Office, Marketing Division
North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
919-733-7887 x.276 or Martha.email@example.com
- Martha Glass, Manager
- Taking the First Step: Farm and Ranch Alternative Enterprise and Agritourism Resource Evaluation Guide, NRCS, USDA, 2004 - This workbook helps farmers and ranchers identify alternative income-producing agricultural enterprises and agritourism opportunities. It also helps them assess their natural, family and community resources to prepare for the next step of developing a business and marketing plan.
- Virginia Cooperative Extension Agri-Tourism Guides and Publications - A guide to establishing an agritourism business and links to numerous other publications.
Links checked June 2011.