Whether enjoyed in cigars or kreteks, snus or hookahs, cigarettes or beedis, dipped, chewed, or sniffed, tobacco is used by more than 1 billion people across the world (WHO). The addictive nicotine found in tobacco provides pleasure to its users by triggering the release of opioids and dopamine in the brain (Smoking).
Researchers are exploring medicinal and nutritional uses for tobacco, which has been identified by economists as one of the top ten crops grown in the United States according to its market value. December 2012 . . . Tobacco
- 2002 Census of Agriculture Data, National Agricultural Statistical Service (NASS), USDA.
- Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (APVA).
- Breed’s Collection of Tobacco History Sites.
- Census of Horticultural Specialties (2009), NASS, USDA, 2010 - The census provides the only comprehensive, detailed data on U.S. floriculture, nursery and specialty crop production at the national and state levels.
- The Changing Tobacco User’s Dollar, Economic Research Service (ERS), USDA, 2004.
- Crop Production Annual Summary, NASS, USDA.
- Crop Values Annual Summary, NASS, USDA.
- Crop Profile for Tobacco Production in Tennessee, 2008.
- Global Agricultural Trade System (GATS), Foreign Ag Service, USDA.
- Long-Lived Tobacco Program to End, Amber Waves, ERS, USDA, 2005.
- Orzechowski and Walker, The Tax Burden on Tobacco: Historical Compilation 2004, Southern Legislative Conference (SLC), 2002.
- Statistical Database-Agriculture, Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO), United Nations.
- Tobacco Background, ERS, USDA.
- Tobacco Costs and Returns Data, ERS, USDA.
- The Tobacco Industry Downsizing, Restructuring, ERS, USDA, 2002.
- Tobacco Policy, ERS, USDA.
- Tobacco Quota Buyout, CRS Report for Congress.
- Tobacco Yearbook Data Tables, ERS, USDA, 2005.
- Trends in the Cigarette Industry After the Master Settlement Agreement, ERS Electronic Outlook Reports TBS 250-01, USDA, 2001.
- Trends in Tobacco Farming, ERS, USDA, 2004.
- U.S .Tobacco Industry Responding to New Competitors, New Challenges, Amber Waves, ERS, USDA, 2003.
- U.S. Tobacco Sector Regroups, Amber Waves, ERS, USDA, 2006.
Links checked December 2012.